The depth of flavor you’ll find in Cheesy Broccoli Soup is sure to please many taste buds! The combination of savory sausage and fresh broccoli paired with the delightful flavors of Gruyere and other cheeses is nothing short of AMAZING!
Let me just start by saying that I love soup! And, I love to make all different kinds of soups. With the onset of chilly daytime temperatures and even chillier night time temperatures, soup is definitely a ‘go to’ dinner time option at our house!
Cheesy Broccoli Soup fits this bill and then some. So simple to make, it takes less than a hour from start to finish! So, if you’re in the mood for some soup, head to the store to stock up on the fresh ingredients!
The quick and easy process starts with browning the sausage in a large Dutch oven.
Once the sausage is no longer pink, remove it from the Dutch oven to a covered container and set is aside. Remove any excess amount of grease from the Dutch oven. Then add the onion and saute until it begins to caramelize.
Next, add the garlic and continue to saute briefly. Then add the chicken stock to the Dutch oven and bring to a boil.
Once the broth mixture boils, add the fresh broccoli. Be sure to wash your broccoli and if desired, cut it into smaller pieces. I do this to help speed breaking the broccoli down once it’s tender.
Reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. **As a note, I use a manual potato masher to break down the broccoli. This works really well, especially if you don’t have access to a hand held emulsifier!
After the broccoli has been broken down, add the cubed cream cheese and stir to melt. Then add the remaining cheese, continuing to stir until all the gooey cheese are melted. Next make the roue and stir into Cheesy Broccoli Soup, along with returning the sausage to the Dutch oven. The roue will help to thicken the soup and add to it’s creamy texture.
Cheesy Broccoli Soup is fantastic served as shown above. However, if your family is like mine, more cheese is even better! Who could resist? Yummo!
Lisa - Cornfed Creations
Comforting, satisfying and simply scrumptious!
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- In a large Dutch oven, brown the sausage until no longer pink. Remove sausage from Dutch oven, cover and set aside.
- Melt 1 table spoon of butter in the Dutch oven and add onions. Sauté onions until they begin to caramelize. Add minced garlic and sauté briefly.
- Add chicken broth to Dutch oven and bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli, making sure it is covered by the broth. Reduce heat, cover and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Using an immersion blender or a manual potato masher, blend the broccoli to desired consistency.
- Add the cream cheese and stir to melt. Then add the shredded Gruyere and Italian blend cheeses. Continue to stir and melt the cheeses over low to medium heat. In a small sauce pan, melt remaining 3 table spoons of butter. Add the flour to the butter to make a roué; then add milk and stir or whisk to combine.
- Stir roué into Cheesy Broccoli Soup and allow to thicken slightly. Add browned sausage to soup and stir to combine. Serve immediately.
I hope you all enjoy! I’d love to get your feed back on this or any other recipe here at Cornfed Creations! So feel free to drop me a line or two! Have a great week! Lisa 🙂
If you love these recipes, check out my Cornfed Creations Cookbook ! It features over 100 different recipes for quick and easy meal fixin’s.