This week’s featured recipe is one of my family’s favorite comfort foods for this time of year! The classic taste of this old fashioned recipe evokes childhood memories of chilly days and warm kitchen aromas! There’s just nothing quite like the delicious, wholesome flavors of this comforting Chicken & Dumplings recipe! Hope you enjoy! Please be sure to leave me your comments for this or other recipes on this site! I’d love to hear from YOU! Have a great week! Lisa
Chicken & Dumplings
Lisa - Cornfed Creations
Delicious and soothing to the soul! This comfort food is outstanding!
30 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
1 ½ lbs. split chicken breast (with skin & bones)
1 envelope onion soup mix
2 t. poultry seasoning
2 t. minced garlic
1 t. pepper
8 to 12 oz. egg noodles (optional)
4 to 6 quarts water
2½ c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1½ t. salt
3 T. dried, minced parsley flakes
6 T. shortening or butter
1½ c. milk or buttermilk
- For stock:
- Place ingredients for stock in a Dutch oven, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until chicken begins to fall off of the bone.
- Remove from heat and separate solid ingredients from stock through a colander.
- Return the stock to the Dutch oven.
- Let chicken cool enough to handle, then remove and discard skin and bones. Return chicken (bones removed) to stock and heat again to simmering.
- Add egg noodles at this point, if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together dumplings.
- For dumplings
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and parsley in a medium bowl and whisk together.
- Add shortening and cut in (with a pastry blender) until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add enough milk to make a sticky dough.
- Drop dough by the spoonful into the simmering broth.
- When all dough has been dropped into the broth, cover and continue to cook for approximately 15-20 minutes, until dumplings are cooked through.