This week, I want to share with you a recipe for a wonderful appetizer that goes great with any occasion and is fairly easy to put together! A few months ago, my friend Katie, from the great state of Tennessee, shared with me her recipe for Sausage Balls. Well, I have to tell you, these tasty treats disappeared almost as quick as I could pull them from the oven!
Since I like to experiment with different ingredients, any recipe I run across, I usually end up adding this and changing that. Just like other recipes, I couldn’t leave Katie’s recipe alone either. So, with her permission, I took the liberty to tweak her recipe and came up with my version called, Spicy Southern Style Sausage Balls!
The panko and crushed plain corn flakes coating gives Spicy Southern Style Sausage Balls a deliciously crunchy outer layer!
First, preheat the oven to 375’F. Then to save time and hassle later (when you’re busy rolling sausage balls), it’s best to begin by combining the panko bread crumbs and crushed plain corn flakes together; then set aside. This way it’s already put together when you’re ready to roll the coating on! 🙂
For the next step, in a medium size mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and spices. I like to use a whisk to combine dry ingredients, too!
The addition of cayenne pepper, chili powder, granulated garlic and onion powder gives Spicy Southern Style Sausage Balls a burst of savory flavor! They’re a nice addition along with the chopped jalapenos, added later!
In a larger mixing bowl, crumble the sausage. Then add the packed brown sugar…
Then top with chopped jalapenos.
Mix together thoroughly. I use my hands, but you may want to wear gloves to do this if you have sensitive skin. Next it’s time to add the cheese!
Briefly mix the shredded cheeses into the sausage mixture. Then, add the flour and spice mixture. Continue to mix together.
Mixture will appear dry and crumbly after the addition of the flour and spices. Simply add the milk and continue to combine.
The addition of milk helps the Spicy Southern Style Sausage Balls stick together. At this point, it’s time to roll the sausage mixture into balls. Then roll sausage balls in the panko and corn flake mixture, to coat, before placing, evenly spaced, on the prepared baking sheets.
Place Spicy Southern Style Sausage Balls in preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until center temperature of sausage balls reaches 165’F (using a meat thermometer).
Allow to cool slightly. Then serve alone or with your favorite dipping sauce! Hope you all enjoy this week’s appetizer recipe! I’d love to hear your comments, questions or suggestions about this or other recipes featured here at Cornfed Creations! Have a great week! Lisa 🙂
Lisa - Cornfed Creations
Delicious, bite sized appetizers!
30 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- Preheat oven to 375’F.
- Grease and/or line 2 baking pans; set aside.
- In a small bowl or container, combine crushed corn flakes and panko bread crumbs; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper, chili powder, granulated garlic and onion powder; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, crumble sausage and combine well with jalapeños, brown sugar and cheeses.
- Add flour mixture to sausage mixture and mix well with hands. Mixture will be dry and crumbly.
- Add milk gradually, mixing well between additions. Form small balls by rolling a small amount of mixture between your palms.
- Coat balls with corn flake and panko mixture.
- Set coated sausage balls on prepared baking pans, evenly spaced. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until center of balls measures 165’f using a meat thermometer.
- Delicious served alone or with your favorite dipping sauce.
Makes approx 60 sausage balls