Unstuffed Bell Pepper Casserole is the combination of the flavors that make stuffed bell peppers so scrumptious! Delicious and filling, this quick and easy recipe is for the stove top, but can easily be baked in the oven or finished in your slow cooker, if you prefer!
If you and your family like stuffed bell peppers, this recipe is one you need to try! It’s really quite easy and doesn’t take long to prepare. If you have some time before you plan to serve it, Unstuffed Bell Pepper Casserole can be finished nicely in your slow cooker. Just follow the recipe, as written, but place in the slow cooker before you add the shredded cheddar cheese. Then cover and let the cheese melt!
My family loves stuffed bell peppers. And I must tell you, I love them, as well. However, I’ve seen what happens when I’ve made them, and the filling is the first to go. Then the cooked bell pepper shells are left on the plate especially with youngsters that can be a smidge picky… So, that’s why I decided to come up with an alternative solution. That’s where Unstuffed Bell Peppers Casserole comes in!
I’ve already mentioned, there are three different ways to finish this yummy casserole; on the stove top, in the oven or in a slow cooker. But to begin with, you’ll need a medium sauce pan to cook the rice and a Dutch oven to cook and combine the remaining ingredients for Unstuffed Bell Pepper Casserole.
Cook the rice according to package directions, except use chicken broth in place of the water. Once it ready, fluff with a fork, cover and set it aside.
Next, in a Dutch oven, melt butter and saute the bell peppers, celery and onion. Remove and keep warm. Then add ground beef to the Dutch oven and brown; then remove excess grease.
Return browned ground beef to the Dutch oven and add the spaghetti sauce, stirring to combine…
Then add the diced tomatoes…
And then stir in the tomato paste and allow to sauce to heat until it’s bubbly. Next stir in the ricotta cheese and spices.
Then, add the cooked rice and sauteed veggies, stirring well.
Top with shredded cheddar cheese, cover and allow cheese to melt over low to medium heat. Or, if you prefer to bake it, pour casserole mixture into a large baking dish, cover with cheese and bake at 350’F for 30 to 45 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 165’F. And that’s IT!! Unstuffed Bell Pepper Casserole is So easy and SO Yummy!!!
I hope you all enjoy! I’d love to get your feed back on this or any other recipe here at Cornfed Creations! So feel free to drop me a line or two! Have a great week! Lisa 🙂
Lisa - Cornfed Creations
Quick, easy, yummy and filling!
25 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- Cook the rice according to package directions, except using chicken broth instead of water.
- When cooked, fluff with a fork, cover and set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt the butter and sauté the celery, bell peppers and onion stirring frequently until onions begin to caramelize.
- Remove vegetables to a heat proof container, cover and set aside.
- Add ground beef to Dutch oven and brown; then drain excess fat. Return beef to Dutch oven and, over low to medium heat, add the spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste.
- Fold together until well combined and mixture begins to bubble. Add ricotta cheese, garlic powder, pepper and salt; stir to combine well and allow to heat through.
- Add the rice and sautéed vegetables and fold to combine.
- Top evenly with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover and allow cheese to melt over low heat. Serve immediately.
If you love these recipes, check out my Cornfed Creations Cookbook ! It features over 100 different recipes for quick and easy meal fixin’s.