Zesty Cornfed Burrito Casserole is a delicious and flavorful dish that surely fits in the ‘comfort food’ category! Gooey cheese and a delightfully lively burrito sauce from scratch are sure to have your family asking for seconds!
Zesty Cornfed Burrito Casserole is a favorite dish that I’ve been making for years. I came up with this casserole recipe years ago after I ran across a recipe to make flour tortillas from scratch. The ‘from scratch tortillas’ were really delicious, but took so much time. So since then, I’ve used store bought flour tortillas for this recipe to cut prep time.
I’m really excited to share Zesty Cornfed Burrito Casserole with you all today! It still takes some time to prepare, but the results are SO worth it! Keep in mind that this casserole can be put together a day ahead. Just assemble, cover and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to pop it in the oven the next day. As a note, make sure that the internal temperature of the cooked casserole reaches 165’F.
The secret to Zesty Cornfed Burrito Casserole, in my opinion, is the sauce. Zesty, flavorful and uniquely delicious, this sauce gets it’s start with sauteed onion and pepperoncinis. Adding the juice from the pepperoncinis adds to the flavor too!
Continue to saute until the onions, peppers and juice have cooked down. Then, add the cream of chicken, tomato soup and tomato paste. Stir together, heat through, cover; then set the sauce aside. Preheat oven to 375’F.
For the next step, brown the ground beef until no longer pink and add the spices and chopped green chilies. Stir to combine well. To assemble Zesty Cornfed Burrito Casserole, add about 1/2 cup of the beef mixture to a tortilla.
Top the beef mixture with about two heaping tablespoons of the Zesty Cornfed Burrito Casserole sauce.
Next, top with shredded cheddar cheese. In the picture above, I’ve used finely shredded Co-Jack cheese.
Roll the tortilla up tightly, and place seam side down in a greased 9″x13″ baking pan. Repeat until burritos are tightly packed in baking dish.
Top casserole with the remaining Zesty Cornfed Burrito Casserole sauce.
Bake until casserole is hot and bubbly and a meat thermometer reads at least 165’F when inserted into the center of the casserole. Add remaining cheese to the top of Zesty Cornfed Burrito Casserole and return to the oven for 5-10 more minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes before serving! Yummmo!!! :
Lisa - Cornfed Creations
Zesty, flavorful and delicious!
1 hrPrep Time
55 minCook Time
1 hr, 55 Total Time
- Preheat oven to 375’F; grease 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and sauté one onion until tender and starting to brown around the edges. Add the peppercinis rings and about half of the juice, and continue to sauté. Cook and stir until most of the juice has cooked away, then add remaining juice, cream of chicken soup, tomato soup, tomato paste and water. Whisk briefly together to combine well; then heat through. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- In another skillet or Dutch oven, brown the ground beef with the second onion until no longer pink. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic, onion powder and green chilies.
- Coat the bottom of the greased baking pan with a ladle full of the sauce. Assemble burritos by adding approximately ½ cup of the beef mixture and about 2 tablespoons of sauce to each flour tortilla; then top with cheese. Roll tortilla up tightly and place seam side down in prepared baking pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour remaining sauce over the top of the rolled tortillas. Bake until thermometer reads 165’F and casserole is hot and bubbly. Remove pan from oven and top with remaining cheese. Return to the oven for approximately 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let rest a few minutes before serving.
If you enjoy these recipes, be sure to check out my Cornfed Creations Cookbook that features over 100 different recipes for quick and easy meal fixin’s.